Friday, April 12, 2013

Thailand Highlights

Hello! I know it has been so long since I wrote, and I sincerely apologize. I have just been over the top busy, and when I get home the only thing I want to do is sleep. Since so much has happened in the last week, and I can't write every detail, I think it would be best for me to share a few highlights.

The first highlight is sports camp. There were over 60 people from SES at Ladprao and Lad Krabang. It was a blast. Imagine: 60 people, a gym, no air conditioning, 100 degree weather...yeah, that about sums it up. It was fun to get to know and spend time with so many new people. One evening before dinner, one of the girls had a guitar out and started to sing. Eventually, a bunch of people were gathered around her singing worship songs. It was so cool--especially since many of the people that came are not Christians. Before going to sports camp, I was nervous about playing the sports because of my knee injury, but I soon realized that my knee is so much better than I think it is. I ended up playing every sport and my knee didn't hurt at all--everything else did though..

Another highlight of my week is Wednesday. Tuesday night I finished my class..it was bittersweet to know that I am 1/3 of the way done. It was sad to know that it was over, but I knew that I would still be spending time with my students even though we didn't have class. So on Wednesday, I planned an "outing" with a bunch of my friends. I love the fact that in Thailand everybody seems to hang out all the time--even if you invite them last minute. It ended up that four people came with us to see a movie at the mall. We decided that we wanted to go see a Thai movie. It was possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. The movie had English subtitles, but the way some of it was translated cracked us up. It is amazing though, because it's very easy to follow along and understand what is going on in the movie. Since then, we have made so many references to the movie. It was extremely fun. The next day, we went back to the same mall with one of the girls and we taught her to ice skate (yes, there is an ice arena in the mall). She was so scared at first, but it was very fun. I love being able to experience these things with the people here.

I think the main highlight for me this week was Wednesday night. We knew that we had to cover a class because Dondon (the teacher) was going to be out of town. We were told we had to teach at 6, but on our way home, we found out we had to teach at 5 instead...Well, we didn't have any time, so we rushed to the school to start the class. Caitlin and I both were exhausted from our busy day, and the last thing we wanted to do in the world was teach a 3 hour class..but we did it anyway. Well, at the end of the class, I invited both of the students to come to get dessert with us, and they both said yes! We were so surprised. It ended up being so much fun even though we were both really tired. Today, Dondon told us that both of the girls want to spend more time with us, so they are coming with us to this place called JJ market tomorrow. It's so exciting because I know they aren't Christians and it's so good to know that they will be spending time with people from the church and people who are Christians. I'm just really excited about it!

If you think about it, please pray for Caitlin and I as we move from Lad Krabang to Ladprao next week. We're both feeling really sad/excited about it. It's going to be really sad to leave here because we may not see the people we've become so close to any more, and exciting because we have a whole new adventure to look forward to. Thanks for your prayers!!!

-Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment