Monday, October 21, 2013

I Can't Believe it's Already Been a Month!

OH NO! I'm already 4 days late. Sorry about that! I really am trying to be disciplined about writing a blog every week but these past few days have been absolutely crazy. I don't even know where to begin..

My super cute class! 
Tomorrow is the last day of my afternoon classes. It's definitely a bitter sweet thing to finish a session. It's exciting to see how far my students have come in the few weeks that I've spent with them. Considering the fact that I had never met any of my students 3 weeks ago, it's neat to see our friendships develop after such a short time; and the sweet, shy, and absolutely silent students from the first day seem like completely different people now. For their sake, I pray that they will continue to study at Santisuk so they will hear more about Jesus and His power. The most exciting conversation I've had with my classes this session happened a few days ago. I walked into the classroom and the first thing they asked me was, "Teacher, where do you think humans come from? Do you think we come from the monkey?" I quickly began to share that I think God created everything--the earth, sun, monkeys, and humans, but he made humans special--we do not come from monkeys. They then continued by asking..."So what do you think came first, the chicken or the egg?" It was exciting to share a little bit about what I believe with them and they were open to share what they believe as well.


I know I mentioned the possibility of taking a Thai class next month. I was really excited about it. I wasn't sure if it would happen or not, but I found out on Friday that they need me to teach at the other school (in Lad Krabang) next month. At first I was extremely disappointed. I was really looking forward to taking the class and learning Thai, but the more I've thought about it, the more I am realizing that I don't have the perfect plan. I thought back to last year when I was planning on going to college, but God had other plans for me, so he used my knee injury to change those plans. I was so sad and confused, but eventually I realized that God wanted me here, in Thailand--and I know now that His plan is so much better than my plan was. So regarding this situation, I slowly began to realize that if God could do that then, He is going to continue guiding me in His perfect plan. Sometime next week I'll be moving to the other location. Please pray for me about that. I love it there, but it's definitely a different atmosphere and change of pace.

Yes...they're crazy.
Please remember Santisuk English School in your prayers. Wonderful things are happening here and people are turning their lives to Jesus. Almost every day I will walk by a room where somebody is being mentored. It's completely normal for someone to grab their Bible and ask me to explain something to them. Tonight I was talking to my roommate about growing up in church. She mentioned something about being impressed that somebody had the Lord's Prayer memorized...I realized that for someone who has grown up in the church, the Lord's Prayer, and other things like that are completely normal. Everyone knows John 3:16 and Psalm 23, but the people here are completely starting from scratch. That is something that I have never thought of before. I know that I have definitely taken for granted growing up in a Christian home--and I think that most people who have grown up in the church would agree with me. It made me thankful for my family but also excited that these people are learning and have a serious desire to learn.

Thank you all so much! I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to email me or comment on this post. Thanks again for your prayers and support.

-Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, thank you for writing! I know MANY of us are enjoying keeping up with you via your blog! Dad and I are so proud of you! Keep serving well! What a privilege it is to witness the Lord's hand in and through you. We sure love you and are praying for you, your students and the staff at SES.

    ReplyDelete