Thursday, October 10, 2013

The one word that comes to my mind when I think about the fact that I'm in Thailand is: contentment. I am so thankful to be here. The other day I was walking home from school and I hit me for the 456,705,340,340 time that I'm in Thailand. Sometimes I feel the need to pinch myself just to make sure that I'm really here. I feel such a peace being here. On top of the great people and incredible ministry, I know that this is where I'm supposed to be and I wouldn't change it for the world.

This week has been extremely busy and I'm really looking forward to the weekend. Last week I was asked to help with the English 4 Kids program that Santisuk English school runs. So yesterday, on top of teaching my 3 normal classes, I have an extra hour of teaching a room full of 5th graders. I was really struggling with it for a while. Adding that class changes the whole layout of my day. I joked with my roommate, Gaan, that she could hit me every time I complained about it....and last night in my devotions the theme of what I read just happened to be about complaining. I'm thinking that's not a coincidence. But as of today, I'm enjoying the kids and I'm thankful that I can help.

Last Saturday I went to the market with my friend Nan. I have been to many markets in Thailand and this one was no different, but seeing the big slabs of meat hanging from the ceiling was just a reminder that I'm not in America. Later that evening I had the privilege to assist in making a Thai meal. We made Green Curry.

I am attempting to learn the Thai alphabet...If you don't know, the Thai alphabet is completely different from English. There are 44 consonants and 32 vowels...that makes 76 characters in their alphabet. Thanks to Gaan, I have "mastered" the first 10. We'll see how it goes.

Tonight I saw one of my closest students from when I was in Thailand in the spring. She came to the school just to see me and she brought me two books on learning Thai. She is so sweet and it was soooo exciting to see her again.

Lastly, please remember to keep me in your prayers. I have a very heavy schedule and I want to do the very best that I can. Also, please pray for my students that they would see the light of Jesus through the classes they are taking and that they would come to know Him as their personal Savior. Tonight in my Level 1 class we began to read the story about Jesus feeding the 5,000. The curriculum is set up so that only part of a story is read everyday. Today we read about Jesus asking Philip where to buy bread. Philip responded by saying that they would never have enough money to buy food for 5,000 people. That was the end of the first part of the story, and the students had to answer questions about it. One of the questions was this, "What do you think will happen next?" Two of the women both agreed and thought that Jesus would use his own money to buy bread for everyone. But one of the other women spoke up and said, "I think that Jesus is going to use his miraculous power to provide the bread for everyone". Immediately everyone in the room began to laugh as if her suggestion was a childish response....little do they know how true her statement is. They will find out on Monday!

Thanks again for your prayers! They are greatly appreciated

-Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment