Thursday, March 28, 2013

Busy Week!!

There is so much to write! I am so sorry that it has been this long. BUT I am having an amazing time. I'll try and give a recap of my adventures since the last time I wrote. Okay, I'll begin with Sunday. Caitlin and I were asked to sing a song for the offering at church on Sunday. It was such a great opportunity. The church at Lad Krabang where we are is amazing. There are normally 20 people, but there were over 30 people last week. It's exciting to see the church grow.

On Monday night after teaching, we had a "girls night" with some of the girls at the school. It was so much fun. I think there were six of us and one of the ladies did our nails! They looked so good!! We also got pizza and one of the girls, Fai, walked with me to get the pizza. While we were waiting, I was talking to her about how cheap things are here. I asked her if there is a minimum wage in Thailand and she said that it is around 40 baht and hour (that's about $1.25). I was amazed by that! No wonder everything is cheaper here. I told her that minimum wage in America is over $7 an hour and she was completely blown away. Those things are so interesting to me.

This week, I began to help with another class. This is a pre 1 class where there is a family--a mom and three kids--and they don't know very much English at all. My job is to help them write their assigned sentences, work on conversation with them, and help them pronounce words. When we got to the pronunciation section, the sound of the day was "TH". I began saying words like "this", "that", "these", and they would repeat me. One of the boys could not make the "th" sound at all, and it was hilarious because he would stick his tongue out and open his mouth and then realize that he was doing it completely wrong. I think everyone in the room was cracking up! It was very funny.
We were nervous to take the "song tow" by ourselves!

The other day, Caitlin and I went on an adventure. We got up in the morning and took one of the public transportation methods (a song tow) BY OURSELVES, and went to this little place called Paseo. It's about 10 minutes away from our apartment, but it is so cute. There are little shops, coffee shops, clothes shops, and restaurants. We sat down at a coffee shop with our Bibles and books and read for a while. It almost felt like being home...especially since we paid almost $4 for our coffee!

Movie theater! 
We also had the opportunity to go to the movies! I was expecting it to be just like the theaters at home, but to my delight, each seat was like a recliner! It was wonderful. I could lean back and relax. I will never go to an American movie theater again! But I think the best part of the movie was the beginning--the previews for other movies. The movie we saw was an American movie in English, but the previews were Thai movies in Thai. One of the movie trailers was a horror/comedy movie, and Caitlin and I had no idea what they were saying, but the combination of the language, cheesy music, and acting...was hilarious. We were cracking up! All I know is that I want to go see that movie now, even if it is in another language!
Me teaching one
of my students
guitar! 

The last few days I have been REALLY craving French Toast...or really any breakfast food for that matter. The main breakfast they eat here is. . . rice. I mean, it's great and all, but I just really wanted some French Toast. This morning, the directors of the school, Dondon and Carol, invited us over for breakfast. Well, guess what they had for us?! FRENCH TOAST! I was so happy that I could hardly contain myself! They are so kind and thoughtful. I am completely satisfied now. :)

Well, we have another really long day ahead of us, so I should probably get some things done! Hopefully I'll write again soon. We appreciate your prayers for us and our students!

-Bethany



No comments:

Post a Comment